Artificial Intelligence and Data Science solutions for the implementation and democratization of digital agriculture with AI4RealAg
Project code: LISBOA-01-0247-FEDER-069670, POCI-01-0247-FEDER-069670
AI4RealAg Main goal: Reinforce research, technological development and innovation
Region of intervention: Lisboa, Center and Alentejo
SISCOG – Sistemas Cognitivos, S.A.
Beyond Vision – Sistemas Móveis Autónomos de Realidade Aumentada, Lda
Instituto Nacional de Investigação Agrária e Veterinária, I.P.
Approval date: 24-05-2021
Starting date: 01-09-2020
Completion date: 30-06-2023
Total eligible cost: 2.661.843,68 Euros
European Union financial support: 1.562.945,17 Euros, through the European Regional Development Fund
Goals, activities and expected results:
The research project was developed by a consortium composed of SISCOG, INIAV, and Beyond Vision. It is the aim of AI4RealAg to increase agricultural production and quality, ensuring a positive impact on agricultural and environmental sustainability.
The project aims to:
- Develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Data Science models that, through the analysis of large volumes of data, enable to uncover hidden knowledge from data, such as patterns, trends and correlations, which support smarter decision-making, as well as preparation of forecasts;
- In order to ensure AI4RealAg produces the best quality result, we developed a comprehensive solution that combines remote multispectral, thermal, 4K, 360º, and LiDAR sensing. By exploring larger drone payloads, we aim to enhance data quality, which in turn feeds our AI and Data Science models for advanced agricultural analysis.
The project addresses six topics:
- Characterization of the phenological states of cultures;
- Determination of cultural coefficients;
- Estimation of the intensity of water stress;
- Diagnosis of nutritional status;
- Health diagnosis for early detection of diseases; and
- Development of an advanced phenotyping platform.
It will be tested and validated in three agricultural sectors:
- Olive groves
- Fruit trees orchards